mardi 15 décembre 2009

Why I am afraid of taking drugs

I am terrified of becoming an addict.

My father is an alcoholic, many people in my mother's family have been addicts.
When my sister smokes hash or takes amphetamines "to study" better, she thinks I'm judging her because I am conventional and straight-laced, which I am. But not about drugs.

I can't imagine losing control of myself. I remember taking sleeping pills and doing things and not remembering anything, and I vowed to myself never to do that again. I get tipsy very fast, so I rarely drink more than two glasses of wine at a time, say once a month.

Not everyone becomes an addict. I know people who do drugs recreationally.

I'm just scared that I won't be able to, so I don't touch anything.

And deep inside, I wish my sister wouldn't either. Because if by chance she does become an addict-I don't think I can witness any more self-destruction again.

2 commentaires:

  1. Totally understand your fear & had it myself for quite a while. There are a lot of alcoholics on my mom's side and binge alcoholics on my dad's side of the family. I have watched it screw up people's lives.

    My siblings both drink a lot and have played with drugs as well. Like you, I appear a lot more straight laced - thus suffer from various judgments from them as they don't understand why (nor do they want to understand).

    RépondreSupprimer
  2. While it's fine for some and not for others, the safest route is always to stay away from that stuff. As for me, I like a beer or two here and there, but never to get drunk and always to remain "in my right mind."

    Nice post.

    RépondreSupprimer