mercredi 9 décembre 2009

My shrink called me fat

"You know, you have changed a lot in the past two years. The first time you walked into this room you were much thicker than you are now. You have shed your protective layer of fat."

...

"Excuse me?"

"You were obviously protecting yourself from men by being unattractive. Now you are no longer protected by your armour of flesh. You are no longer fat.This means you want to be attractive to men. "

By this time I'm completely amused.

"So now, what am I? Fat, medium, normal?"

"Normal, of course. You're absolutely average."

"So the difference between me being fat and me being average is 15 pounds? Because that's all the weight I lost. Would you really call that a huge difference, for someone who is 5'10? Because it's not. And I don't think you should associate "flesh" with unattractiveness, it's very reductive."

So he told me he was sorry he hurt my feelings. But he didn't. I don't think fat is a bad word, it's a descriptor. I disagree that fat, or flesh, are symptoms of a life less lived, less enjoyed.

2 commentaires:

  1. Wow! REALLY poor choice of words on his part. I mean, he could have told you that your taking better care of yourself is a sign of heeling or something that didn't use the word 'fat'.
    I think you handled it very well.
    ~Emmy

    RépondreSupprimer
  2. Um... I don't know how I'd handle that. And I would never say that to a client!

    I'm glad you didn't get offended; I'm not sure I could have done the same.

    RépondreSupprimer