vendredi 11 décembre 2009

OMG WTF

Mulled wine. And Class Christmas party.
Sara, the klutz, has just spilled her mulled wine on a friend of a friend. He's tall and nice and works for an environmental consulting firm. We were talking about his job and I just...spilled wine all over his beige trousers.

"You obviously did this to see me in my underwear."

By now he had changed into a pair of pants belonging to our host and I was helping him scrub the wine off.

"This isn't the first time we've met, you know?"
"No, when did we meet?"
"It was in a café, and you were telling these jokes, and everyone was laughing."
"Oh."

I didn't remember. But I liked him. He was funny and self-deprecating. We spent a lot of the evening sitting on a couch, laughing about everything and enjoying ourselves. I remember thinking:wow, I'm having fun! And I like him! I haven't liked anyone in ages.

As I gathered my stuff so I wouldn't be too knackered out for training this morning, he hovered around the door. I took a deep breath.
"Can I have your phone number, please?"
He smiled.
"I was about to ask you for yours."
"Well, that means you're going to have to choose the movie."
"Obviously."
"This is my finals week so..."
"No problem, I'll wait."

We smiled at each other.
"I like you."
"I like you too. Have a nice walk home!"

And I did.

5 commentaires:

  1. This is the nicest thing I'll read all day.

    RépondreSupprimer
  2. Ooh! The old "spill the wine to get a date" trick! Good for you! ;-)

    RépondreSupprimer
  3. Look at *you* taking the step of asking for his number before he could ask for yours! You get it, girl! Haha.

    This made me really happy. You know, even if this doesn't go anywhere, I always feel like we live for these moments. Those evenings we have where, for those few hours, everything is perfect. For the high we get when the cute boy smiles at us from across the train. For the nights where we go on a first date and drink wine and run through wet grass and make out like teenagers.

    You know?

    RépondreSupprimer
  4. Hi everyone! Thanks for the nice comments!
    Britni: I know exactly what you mean, and that's why I wrote this story, because as you say, wherever this goes, the feeling of happiness stays with you.

    RépondreSupprimer