vendredi 1 janvier 2010

Playing it casual

"Can I bring a teapot next time I come? I really need tea in the morning."
He laughs at me.
"Why don't we take this slowly? Bring a saucer.I don't want you to think that we're going out or anything. Don't get too involved, Sara."

We joke about it but I am super nervous. I've never played it casual before.

I've always fallen in love before becoming someone's girlfriend.

I've never had a one-night stand. I'm a serial monogamist!

This guy is so relaxed about everything. I tell him what the situation is at the moment, not looking for anything serious, not wanting a "relationship", all that jazz. He just takes it all calmly and tells me to take things one day at a time.

"Just tell me when you feel uncomfortable and we can scale things down."

Which is terrific advice and I know I shouldn't overthink this. Yet...
I'm terrified of getting back into the mess I've just extricated myself from; the passionate love story that ends with someone feeling that I'm too complicated and difficult to deal with. I need some time outfrom all the compromises, and talks that come with coupledom. Where is this going? Am I giving enough? Am I taking enough? No more for some time, please.

I was at his place. He was cooking for me, as we chatted about this and that. I looked up at him shyly, hoping this is the right way of saying it, the right time, the right thing to do.

"Sorry I didn't answer yesterday. I was feeling very depressed and I tend to crawl into a hole."
"Do you get depressed often?"

Deep breath.

"Hmm. I do actually."
"Well, next time I call and you're not feeling so good, why don't you tell me what I can do to help? Maybe talking to someone would make it easier."

And there it is. That moment. The moment when I wonder. Now he's nice about it, but who's to tell when it will irremediably put him off? And anyway, where is this going? Am I casual enough? I don't want a therapist. I want a friend with benefits! Shut up head.

I'm not convinced I'm good at this casual game.

3 commentaires:

  1. I'm not good at the casual game, either. I pretend I am, because I don't want to lose them, but I'm not. It eats me up inside and then it explodes into me looking like a psycho because I've been stuffing all that stuff down and it boils over and I look crazy.

    RépondreSupprimer
  2. Oh God, I know exactly what you mean. The psycho argument has always been one of my things.

    RépondreSupprimer
  3. Sara, it's not really a game at all. It's just as he says. Taking everything at face value, one thing at a time. The best way to do that is to NOT put all your eggs in one basket. Keep putting your energy into all the other things that you do. It's ok if you're busy and can't see him. He'll call again Really. Truth is, I know EXACTLY what you are talking about. But it's more important that you like yourself than turn into someone that you don't like. I know what that's like too. Sucks. Take care--

    RépondreSupprimer