mercredi 13 janvier 2010

The Jewish Bride





This is one of my favourite painting by Rembrandt, The Jewish Bride. I love the way the man looks at his bride, the way he puts his hand on her heart. When I look at this image, I feel a quiet sense of content seep through me again. Rembrandt has the most wonderful way with light and darkness, and when I stare long enough, I get that dizzy sensation of passing from a darkened room to a garden in summer. At first you blink and there is almost pain, and suddenly vividness becomes pleasurable. The smells of August fill the air, and the low humming of creatures makes you walk that much slower.

This painting makes me more aware of other people's body language.


I always wonder what keeps long-term relationships going. I wonder if it's that look, that hand, that infinite trust, that keeps the light from being swallowed by dusk. Maybe it's finding a person that gives you that funny, heart-twisting splash of sensations.

I love that painting.

2 commentaires:

  1. I wish I had the ability to see things like that in paintings. Or any work of art.

    RépondreSupprimer
  2. For me, it's Degas. I feel the movement in all of his works--they just draw me in and make me feel like I'm there.

    The Musee D'Orsay was my favorite place in Paris. : )

    RépondreSupprimer