lundi 19 octobre 2009

The Great Escape


I pride myself on having great escapism skills. I can have a conversation and still be elsewhere, although I can't if the conversation is slightly more sophisticated than the weather. I can be in class and yet someplace else, also not recommended but sometimes essential. I like to think of it as a skill, and of myself on being a great escape artist, but these last few days I've been trying to live in the moment a bit more, and stop yearning for another time or another place.

I tried this successfully a few times: during one of those "in the supermarket queue" moments of awkwardness, where half conversations are born and killed, I was incredibly there and attentive. During a class on statistics, not the most rrrrriveting of subjects, I tried to be 100% focused. And while reading a book on Microeconomics, I concentrated on every word as if it were a sacred text.

I think this awareness technique is better for me when I'm stressed or depressed, because it eases the feeling of virtuality and loneliness that comes with unhappiness.

However, when a boring lady tried to draw me into her maze of shopping information in the bus this morning, I stared at her forehead, nodded at her, and remained firmly inside myself, happily escaped from the world. Sometimes it's best not to listen.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire