mercredi 3 février 2010

Friends with the ex


People around me are breaking up. It's that time of year. Good resolutions or something. This makes me really sad because there is always the problem when you have two friends together, that your friendship with one of the couple will crumble after the separation. When X left me, we joked that we would share custody of the friends we had in common, and never make them feel they had to choose. And this worked out pretty well.

Now the tables are turned, since the man I'm seeing is best friends with his ex. After years of explaining to people that it was foolish to feel threatened by my exes, and that we now only shared friendship, I'm on the other side of the fence.
And...I have no problem with this. Shocking, yeah? I like it. I like that he can go beyond tension and sadness and create a great bond with someone really awesome. And yes, I've met her.

Somehow I feel this sounds stereotypically French. I should be wearing a stripey T-shirt with effortless style, while eating croissants with my ex-husband's new wife, and smoking filterless cigarettes while accordeon music wafts through the open window.

Anyone here friends with their ex(es)?

5 commentaires:

  1. I remain friends with almost everyone I date. We hang out, and if the person I'm seeing isn't okay with it, I'll stop seeing them. I don't handle jealousy well at all. They're my ex for a reason. And if you can't handle that, then you can't date me. End of story.

    If you still wanted to be with that person, you would be. But you're not. People need to grow up. I hate when people say that shit to me!

    Good for you.

    RépondreSupprimer
  2. With the exception of one girlfriend from my high school days, I've remained friends with my exes. I agree with what Britni says.

    RépondreSupprimer
  3. Yes, friends with exes, unless we've lost touch for one reason or the other.

    RépondreSupprimer
  4. I am friends with one ex, but not with a guy who dumped me for my "best friend." Things got really ugly and I decided that cutting both of them out of my life entirely was in my best interest.

    But the ex I'm friends with (I haven't had a lot of boyfriends) sometimes acts like he still has a right to know all about my personal life (he's married with two children) and that irks me.

    RépondreSupprimer
  5. I am friends too. And, I'm even really good friends with a couple of my husband's ex girlfriends. You aren't alone.

    Oh, and can I just say I love the image you painted in that last paragraph. :)
    ~Emmy

    RépondreSupprimer