dimanche 14 février 2010

Almost Birthday

The 14th of February was never about Valentine's day for me. It's the day before my mother's birthday.

My mother is funny, irritating, loving, giving, obstinate, insane, beautiful beyond compare, sad, giggly, a card-player, an adventuress, a stay-at-home internet nerd, someone who loves Bach and Mozart and Queen and the Beatles, someone who took in my sick father after their divorce so I wouldn't have to take care of him all by myself.

My mother is amazing.

She gave me my best friend: my sister.

She taught me to stand up for myself.

Never to depend on someone else for material comfort.

To hug people, when in doubt.

She forgave my painting on the walls of my room with lipstick. And the time I cut my own hair. The time I tried to take my own life. And the time I came home with a broken heart. She always knows when my sister and I call her. She always knows how I feel and why. And when she went out to parties when J and I were little, she would leave a sugary confection on the side of our beds so we would know that she had thought of us and come to check on us before going to sleep.



Happy Birthday Mums.

I love you.

2 commentaires:

  1. Awww... That's sweet! Happy Birthday Mums!

    And a big fat Happy Valentine's Day to you, m'dear!

    RépondreSupprimer
  2. A beautiful tribute to your Mum on her birthday!
    ~Emmy

    RépondreSupprimer