dimanche 13 juin 2010

tell me about your first job?

It's that time again.

Time to leave home.

My sister is gone and with her a part of me, but also a voice of reason. If she were with me now, she would dismiss my fears and make me laugh, and I would remember how excited I am to live in Berlin for a few months (only four!) and that it's going to be amazing.

I'm leaving in a week. Next Sunday is my going-away party. And then I'm going to do a job I don't even understand, in German.

So this is a request: can you tell me about your first job? I'd love to know how it went.

3 commentaires:

  1. My VERY first job was weird - it was at a printing company and I was a page gatherer. They manually put together books, which meant I manually "gathered" the pages for them. It was crazy boring.

    My first professional job was annoying. They literally tossed me into the deep end with no support - no direction - no nothing. I had to learn to find a way to get what I needed without being needy. In the end, it was all good. But the start was nerve wracking. The next job I was much better about asking directly for what they needed to provide me to be successful (thus making them successful).

    I'm sure you'll do fine. As an old mentor once said, know what you know-know what you don't know -know the difference - and don't pretend to know what you don't know. There is no risk in saying "I don't know - let me find out."

    Hugs and luck to you!
    ~Emmy

    RépondreSupprimer
  2. Thanks so much Emmy...I really need that kind of advice right now :)

    RépondreSupprimer
  3. My first gig was at Opryland theme park. It was a simple and typical job for teenagers. I worked in a barbecue restaurant and bounced around doing whatever was needed.

    I loved reading Emmy's advice. Best of luck to you. I'm sure you'll be great and I look forward to reading about how everything goes for you.

    RépondreSupprimer