jeudi 30 septembre 2010

3 is the loneliest number

Three.

Three often means two plus one.

I have two friends I met my first year of "junior high" for lack of a better word, when I was ten. We remained in the same class until I was 15, and then they both went towards economics and then prepared the entrance exam for business school, and I went towards literature.

French school system.

I was not a very gregarious child, and had very few friends. My dream, from the age of 10 onwards, was to be someone's best friend. In that internet-less age, best friends called each other every evening on the house phone, and annoyed their parents expecting calls. Best friends had sleep-overs. Best friends could bond against the world.

This never really happened for me. Like the booty call who hopes against all odds that he/she will become the official partner, I spend a lot of time daydreaming about my potential best friend-making moves. Should I be funnier? Should I have cuter clothes?

When I finally got close friends, it never felt that I was the one. My two closest friends and I formed a trio, an uncomfortable one at times. I will never forget a trip to Vienna where I felt completely left out and cried myself to sleep every night. I was a very immature 17.

I don't know why the moniker best friend was so important to me. Now I have many friends, all important for me, all wonderful, and I laugh at my past self for having set so much store on a label. How insecure. How silly. No one can be everything to someone.

Now my two oldest friends are going back to school together. Like when we were 15, they will be laughing about teachers, sharing in-jokes about fellow students, spending hours in the same classroom. I suddenly realised this a few days ago and thought "How nice for them."
Then I thought "Damn it. 2+ 1 AGAIN?"

And I call myself an adult.

3 commentaires:

  1. Your writing makes me smile. So does "adulthood."

    RépondreSupprimer
  2. As someone who's not quite, but close, to double your age, I can't help but think about my best/closest friends I had at your age. Honestly, I haven't talked to them in probably five years, if that. And frankly, they've been replaced by better and closer friends. Sure, there's the memories and all, but they just aren't as relative to my life as they were back then. It happens to all of us, I think.

    That being said, you're more than welcome to be my best friend! :-)

    (hope you've seen the comments...)

    RépondreSupprimer
  3. I recognise myself in this post. So glad to have you as a friend. xxx

    RépondreSupprimer