mardi 17 août 2010

Office meltdown

I like my Kolleagues but lack of sleep + rain-induced headache= irritation.

I am so tired of the baby talk. All the time. Between the moans that they will never be "a young mother" because they are 25, and that having kids at 30 means you are an old mother (thus depriving your child of precious time in your company), I am thoroughly bored.

THEY JUDGE ME. All the time. Because I get annoyed when they go on and on about how old parents are terrible. "If your father were younger he wouldn't be sick and burden you."
Hmmm...perceptive and kind comment!

Because I say having children isn't fun all the time:
"You are so negative." No. I just think we shouldn't idealise motherhood and say it is a bed of roses 24/7. And yes, I find newborns boring. No, I won't apologise.

They keep making comments like "careers are less important than children."
To whom? To you? To me? Can't we agree that everyone is different? You know what? Maybe if men pulled their weight, if governments made paternal leave compulsory, there wouldn't be any discrimination against women of child-bearing age in the workplace! Let's talk about that instead of moralising.

I know I'm tired and cranky. I shouldn't bite their noses off, because they are sweet and helpful and bear with me, thus deserving a medal.



Note that I bore them quite as much: today's book was a historical essay on code-breaking and the submarine battles during the Second World War. I talked and bored.

Cool topic though.

1 commentaire:

  1. That talk would drive me nuts too. I feel for you. And I'm not even cranky with a headache.
    Hang in there!

    RépondreSupprimer