mercredi 21 avril 2010

The forbidden word

The French don't talk about money, as a rule. I remember when I lived in America, being shocked at how easy it was to casually refer to your salary, or talk about money problems. Jokes about mortgages. Paying for the kids' education.

I haven't been brought up that way. We always laughed at my sister who was inquisitive as a child, wondering what job would get you what kind of wages. In retrospect, I don't understand why we discouraged her. It's certainly rude to ask people point-blank what kind of money they make, but is it wrong to be curious about it?

Money. Cash. Moolah.

My parents are pretty bad with money, but then they don't really care. My father is certainly the worst person with money I know. Unfortunately I'm a close second.

My short stint in the Catholic Church could be to blame; or maybe chalk it up to bad parental example, (though my sister disproves both theories): I tend to ascribe my unthrifty ways to lazyness and fear of being selfish. I've had such an enchanted, easy life, that it seems churlish not to give money to charities, buy drinks for students who have a hard time ending the month, and of course there are all the silly purchases that add up. My book habit. My obsession with asos.com. Shoes.

I've decided that it's time to care about money. It won't be fun to keep track of everything I spend, but it's necessary. I'm tired of being irresponsible about money, because there's nothing carefree about being stupid financially. I'm not a kid anymore. So I'm making a budget and sticking to it.

Any tips for this financially clueless girl? Are you money-savvy? Do you give to charities?

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire