vendredi 30 juillet 2010

Biological clocking it

I'm that old it seems. All the women around me are talking about babies. Getting married. Settling down.

Not all actually when I think about it. The ones who are not planning the family are complaining about the fact that they should be thinking about it.

My problem with this is that I don't want children. I KNOW I KNOW. I'm only 24. I have about a decade in front of me to reevaluate. And maybe I will. For the time being I just express how I feel-I do not want to procreate.

Several reasons, some silly, others more deep-rooted. I think there are already too many people on Earth... I'm afraid that depression is hereditary and I would never willingly transmit my illness to another living being...I'm not crazy about babies and toddlers.

It's scary to think that these are decisions my friends are considering. My girlfriends. Men, of course, don't have to think about it as soon.

There is the whole work thing too. In France we have amazing day care facilities. In Germany not at all. My Kollegues discuss whether it's better to jeopardize your career by being a stay-at-home mother or pay someone your entire salary to raise your kids. It's a different environment here.

Why am I rambling like this? What, exactly, makes me so uncomfortable about having to choose a life, childless or with children, job-orientated or family-orientated?

Is it my grandmother's death? Am I thinking about generations renewing themselves?

When does the biological clock start ticking?

3 commentaires:

  1. The older I get, the less I want children. And the German problem--stay at home or spend all your money on daycare--is also an American problem in a big way.

    RépondreSupprimer
  2. I never wanted children either, not in my teens, twenties, thirties, or forties. This made me unpopular amongst females in the circles in which I've spent most of my life (not to mention my mom's bothersome "hints" such as sending me a baby name book). I don't know how many times I had to defend my lack of desire to procreate to other women. "What, don't you like children?" Like there was something wrong with me for not wanting my own uterine dumplings. I've always thought there were more than enough people on earth, and I don't feel any kind of deep-seated need to pass on my own flawed gene pool. I don't think there are any "silly" reasons for being childless by choice. They're your reasons, regardless of what others think.

    (P.S.: Salut! I found you through Meg's Little Pink Blog. I'm a German ex-pat with a fondness for French, although I've forgotten most of what I learned in school.)

    RépondreSupprimer
  3. Hallo Meg and pleasantly alliterative Miz Minka :)

    It puzzles me that we still have to defend our procreative choices to people. I never ask people why they have babies.

    RépondreSupprimer